You are currently on the:CMHA National
Visit our provincial websites
Supporting Kids in Camp
Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo Wellington are proud to continue to provide a great program each summer for families of children with special needs. Supporting Kids in Camp (SKIC) provides children who have special needs with trained and experienced one-to-one workers, called Support Counsellors, so that they may attend specialized and/or integrated community camps.
There is no cost to families for this service!
This program is funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) and will help to address one-to-one support needs during summer camps. If you are interested in applying for a support counsellor so that your child may be fully included and supported at a camp program, please read the following information:
WHO CAN APPLY?
Please review the following criteria:
–your child lives in the Guelph-Wellington region
-your child is under the age of 18
-your child has two of the following: physical, cognitive, or behavioural challenges
-your child wants to attend a day camp and needs support for successful inclusion
-your child is camp ready, and does not pose a risk of injury to self or others
We support day camps in the Guelph-Wellington region. Use the map below to view the boundaries of the Wellington region.
All eligible applicants must follow the process described below.
Applying to SKIC
Applying to Supporting Kids in Camp (SKIC) – Registration opens April 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM
Please note that confirmation of support will be sent by email once registrations have been received and reviewed. Our support is based on availability and eligibility.
- Choose a camp program for your child and register for that program.
- Fill out the Online Application. (If the week that you are interested in, notes it is full or does not appear in the pull-down menu, that week is currently full)
- Complete the One Form found above under “Online Application” and follow the steps provided.
- The Program Coordinator will contact the camp, to ensure they are committed to the philosophy of inclusion, and will contact your family regarding acceptance.
- Confirmation of support will be sent by e-mail once all forms have been received and reviewed, based on availability and eligibility.
One Form (*to be filled out once registration form is completed)
Laura McDonald, Recruitment and Training Coordinator
(519) 821-8089 ext 7055
- In fairness to all, applications for a Support Counsellor are limited to one week during the summer.
- Please be aware that registration is first come/first serve.