You are currently on the:CMHA National
Visit our provincial websites
CMHA WW recognizes World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Jun 15, 2017
On June 15th, CMHA Waterloo Wellington joins organizations around the world in recognizing World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
It is estimated that 10% of older adults will experience one or more forms of abuse at some point during their senior years. We are encouraging everyone to show the world you care about ending elder abuse by wearing something purple. Together, we have the power to prevent elder abuse.
CMHA Waterloo Wellington offers a number of services related to seniors at risk of abuse:
The Seniors at Risk Community Response Network represents a collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach across health/social services, legal and police services as well as the informal seniors support network. Our resources include:
- Guelph Wellington Seniors at Risk Consultation Team & Network: a multi-disciplinary group of professionals meeting regularly to provide consultation on complex cases involving older adults, as well as identify and address gaps in service
- Emergency Shelter for Older Adult Victims of Abuse: short-term emergency retirement home accommodations (funded by County of Wellington Social Services)
- Clinical Consultation: direct support and consultation
- Education: Speakers for presentations and training, as well as resources and videos
- Safe Pathways: Partnering to support a coordinated response for persons with dementia and their care partners who are either at risk of entering the criminal justice system or who are currently involved in the system
The Guelph Wellington Gatekeeper Project educates local community members to be change-makers by helping to identify vulnerable and at-risk older adults.
Read more about CMHA WW’s Gatekeeper project.
Read more about Seniors’ Month.