How it works
Psychiatry assessments are provided on a consultation basis and are often limited to 1 or 2 sessions. To initiate a Psychiatry assessment, your Family Physician may refer you if they feel it is necessary. Your doctor will then use the recommendations identified in the Psychiatry assessment as a treatment guide and will monitor your needs as necessary.
Psychiatry assessment services are available for those individuals who are experiencing significant concerns with their mental health. A Psychiatrist can assist by clarifying symptoms and diagnoses, as well as making treatment recommendations. The Psychiatrist will consult and collaborate with you, your family (should you desire this) and your Family Physician/Nurse Practitioner to develop an individual treatment guide for you.
Is this service right for me?
To qualify for Adult Psychiatry Services at CMHA WW you must be:
- referred by a doctor
- struggling with moderate to severe mental health concerns, and/or substance abuse concerns;
- between the ages of 18 to 65 years of age; and
- a resident of Waterloo Region, Wellington or Dufferin Counties
What to expect from our program
- a comprehensive psychiatry assessment
- education regarding your specific mental health condition
- treatment strategies are reviewed and thoroughly discussed
- a treatment plan is developed between you and the Psychiatrist
- a written report is sent to your Family Physician informing him/her of the assessment findings and recommendations
- appropriate referrals to other services (internal or community based) and assitance accessing the supports you have selected
- access to a Registered Nurse should you have any questions or concerns about your Psychiatry assessment
Accessing our service
You are encouraged to discuss your concerns with your Family Physician. To access psychiatry services, your physician will need to submit a referral to Here 24/7 (CMHA WW’s Coordinated Access and Information Referral Team). You will be contacted by a Here24/7 Service Coordinator who will follow up with you regarding the referral.